Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Big Ten Network

Thank god for the invention of Sling Box. For those of you who don't know, Sling Box is a little box that one hooks up to his/her cable and internet connection. Through this hookup, one is able to access their home cable television anywhere in the world as long as they have a computer and an internet connection. Needless to say, I watch Sling Box a lot on my computer.

One of my favorite tv networks to watch is the Big Ten Network. Growing up I loved the Big Ten and would watch as many Big Ten football and basketball games as I could. I dreamed of one day playing in the Big Ten. Shoot, if Ohio State would have offered me a scholarship in high school I would have jumped at the chance (they chose to give the scholarship to Charles Bass who later transferred, oh what could have been.) Being able to catch up with the teams and schools I grew up with is one of the reasons I love the Big Ten Network.

They constantly have replays on of classic Big Ten matchups. The only downside to this is having to possibly watch Wisconsin, in that case I change the channel or if I know the outcome I will watch the Badgers lose. It doesn't get much better than watching the Badgers lose. The only thing better would be watching Notre Dame lose. Anyways, the classic games are pretty awesome.

Also, I believe that the basketball coaches in the Big Ten are phenomenal. From Tom Izzo to Bruce Webber, there is a great collection of coaching talent there. I also have an added interest since Tom Crean is now coaching Indiana. Even though they are down it is great to watch the Hoosiers play and see the development of his team. I have said it before and I will say it again, the more success that Coach Crean has the more success I will have in my professional career on and off the court. I really believe that he will go to a Final Four within the next 5 years.

What really put me over the top for the Big Ten Network though is watching the Indiana vs Minnesota game this weekend. For those that didn't see or hear about it, Indiana won the game in overtime. To make it even better, Gus Johnson was calling the game. The man can make watching paint dry exciting. I love it and can't get enough of it.

If the Big East had some kind of agreement or network like this I would be writing the same thing. I obviously like the Big East (at least basketball) more than the Big Ten. I think it is a better conference top to bottom and has better coaches, teams, etc. I don't want to get into the Big East so much but I will in a later post.

I know the Big Ten received a lot of flack for the network but I think it is fantastic and other conferences should follow suit. I would love watching the Big East basketball replay on Sunday afternoons. The Big Ten also has great behind the scenes series. I just watched one on the basketball teams and it was awesome. They showed how teams prepare for each other and the struggles of being a student athlete, which I believe is not shown enough. Everyone always sees the games on tv but they don't see all the work in class, study hall, practice and the film room. I thought it was an excellent inside look at athletic programs.

If you haven't watched it yet or only watch it occasionally, I advise you to take a look into it. Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. There is a Big East Network! Marquette games are often shown on the network along with Inside Marquette basketball. Glad things are going well for you!

    ReplyDelete