Thursday, January 21, 2010

Game vs Nyon Round 2

After our loss to Lugano, we watched the game to see what we did good and what we did bad. There was a lot more bad than good. Our defensive movements were slow and in some cases non existent. We strayed too much from our offense which led to bad shots which in turn led to fast breaks for Lugano. All in all it was an awful game for us. After watching the game we decided that we were going to get better (couldn't get much worse) and go out and beat Nyon.

I really believed we were going to win. They are the team with the biggest budget in the league. They have an outstanding collection of players. They have scorers, rebounders, defense guys and play makers. The guys on their team know how to play basketball. Austin Johnson, from Oklahoma, leads their attack and we knew we were going to need to stop him. Despite all of this, I still thought we were going to win the game. I couldn't have been more wrong.

We started out even worse than we did against Lugano. Nyon's fast break made Lugano's look like a middle school team's. We turned the ball over and because of this weren't ever able to run an offense. Nyon must have had 30 points in transition.

I will admit to myself that I let the refs get into my head a little bit. I didn't get any calls against Lugano and I definitely didn't get any calls against Nyon. I was frustrated and I let that affect my game. This is the first year that I have let the refs get into my head and I don't like the path that I am going down with it. Truth is, if I get hit, I still need to make the basket. That is the approach that I am going to take with me for the rest of the year. I have to take advantage of the things I am in control over and not things I am not in control of bother me. Ok, there is my little self help motivator for the day.

I could write more about how we didn't stop anyone or how we gave up 27 to a guy who averages 10 but I won't. It won't help with my mental state right now. I'm not even going to post a final score but I will tell you we lost bad.

Good news though, we play Lausanne on Sunday and have a chance to right the ship. We lost to Lausanne earlier in the year but we weren't a very good team then. We need to get back on track and I hope we can do it against them. It won't be easy but it will be a good challenge for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment