Monday, January 10, 2011

French Music

Music has always been an important part of my life. Some of my earliest memories are of me sitting in my grandparents living room listening to music with my Grandfather. He had a great appreciation for music. We listened to all kinds of music together and he would sing along to the tunes in his deep bass voice. I think he is the reason I love music so much.

When I entered the 6th grade I decided to try playing an instrument. My older sister Krista played the flute in high school and was the drum major for the marching band. It was only natural that I would try something. I don't know why but after considering percussion, the saxophone and trumpet, I chose the trombone. I really enjoyed playing it and when I entered high school I participated in marching band as well as wind ensemble. The time commitment proved to be too much though and I made the decision to quit playing so I could focus more attention to the game of basketball.

With my musical background, I enjoy all different kinds of music. I would say that my favorite type is hip hop but as I am getting older I am learning to enjoy music from all over the spectrum.

When I am in different countries, I am often asked if I like that countries artists. I have heard everything from German rap artists (Bushido) to Italian opera singers. After hearing them though, I didn't really care for them but now I think I am finally being European-ized. I was in the weight room with my teammates the other day and a song came on the radio and I realized I was singing along with it. Suddenly I felt like I had been hit with a bolt of lightning. I never thought I would appreciate French music.

It's all part of the journey though. I am extremely fortunate and blessed to play the game I love for a living. I don't think I would be making the most out of my life's journey or this experience if I didn't come to appreciate another countries qualities such as their music.

If you have the time I recommend checking out Ben L'Oncle. He has a great soulful voice and my favorite song of his is Soulman but his cover of Seven Nation Army is fantastic as well. Christopher Mae is another good artist. His song Pourquoi C'est Beau is great. The songs are available on youtube. I would link them but some of them are French and won't play in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment