Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Staying Ready

While I am in my holding pattern right now because of my ankle injury, I am reminded of what Coach Crean used to say: always stay ready because you never know when your number is going to be called. I took this to heart while I was in school. I may not have always been happy with my playing time but I tried to do something about it. I wasn't playing a lot during my senior year so I used to get shots up late at night or when I didn't have class. When my number was finally called at the end of my senior year, I was ready and made the most of my minutes. If I did not stay ready back in 2006 then I would not be where I am today.

I am taking Coach Crean's advice right now. I don't know when I will be back on the court but I am trying to stay ready and be prepared for the comeback. I am eating right, working out and trying to watch as much basketball as possible just so I can stay around the game.

While it is not possible for me to run right now, I go to the gym every day and ride the bike. In addition to riding the bike at the gym, I am also lifting to keep up my strength and working on my flexibility.

I am also watching what I eat because I am not burning a lot of calories on the court. I eat a hearty breakfast of eggs, potatoes and toast every morning. For lunch I usually eat a chicken sandwich and soup. Finally for dinner I will have meat, pasta/potatoes/rice, and vegetables. The older I get and the farther I advance in my career, the more I realize how important it is to eat right.

I have an appointment next Wednesday in Tours, France to get an injection in my ankle. I hope that this works and if it does then I will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment